The highest educational level completed refers to the
educational category successfully completed. For example, if the
HH member studied up to class 10 but could not pass the 10th class
Board Examination, s/he will be coded as middle.
- A person aged 7 and above who can both read and write
with understanding in any language is to be taken as literate.
- People who are blind and can read in Braille will be
treated as literates.
It is not necessary that to be treated as literate, a person
should have received any formal education or passed any minimum
educational standard. Literacy could also have been achieved
through adult literacy classes or through any non-formal
- A person who can neither read nor write.
- A person who can merely read but cannot write in any
- All children of age 6 years or less are treated as
illiterate even if the child is going to a school and may have
picked up reading and writing.
Primary: Passed 5th Standard but not passed 8th Standard.
Middle: Passed 8th Standard but not passed 10th Standard.
Secondary: Passed 10th Standard but not passed 12th
Higher Secondary: Passed 12th Standard but not completed
Graduate or higher: Completed graduation (degree holder)
Other: (e.g. diploma holder, polytechnic, vocational