The highest educational level completed refers to the educational category successfully completed. For example, if the HH member studied up to class 10 but could not pass the 10th class Board Examination, s/he will be coded as middle.
- A person aged 7 and above who can both read and write with understanding in any language is to be taken as literate.
- People who are blind and can read in Braille will be treated as literates.
It is not necessary that to be treated as literate, a person should have received any formal education or passed any minimum educational standard. Literacy could also have been
achieved through adult literacy classes or through any non-formal educational system.
- A person who can neither read nor write.
- A person who can merely read but cannot write in any language.
- All children of age 6 years or less are treated as illiterate even if the child is going to a school and may have picked up reading and writing.
Primary: Passed 5th Standard but not passed 8th Standard.
Middle: Passed 8th Standard but not passed 10th Standard.
Secondary: Passed 10th Standard but not passed 12th Standard.
Higher Secondary: Passed 12th Standard but not completed graduation.
Graduate or higher: Completed graduation (degree holder)
Other: (e.g. diploma holder, polytechnic, vocational training etc.)